[pptp-server] Samba and pptpd

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Fri Jun 11 14:48:42 CDT 1999

I thought I'd jump into this thread as I'm having similar
problems talking to a Samba server from a Win98 client.

Here is my setup:

Win98 client [192.168.1.226 assigned by PPTPD]

(PPP)
 |                                    [216.67.x.x external PPP address]
ISP---Internet---ISP2--(PPP)--Gateway [192.168.1.1 internal address]
                                  |   [192.168.1.221 PPTP local address]

                                  +-- Samba server [192.168.1.2 internal]

(excuse my lame art)

Notes:
. my LAN uses 192.168.1.x IP addresses
. In pptp.conf I use,
   localip 192.168.1.221-225
   remoteip 192.168.1.226-230
. the Win98-side ISP is AOL.

I have no trouble establishing the PPTP connection between
Win98 client and Gateway.  And I can telnet to Samba server
from Win98 client, and likewise ping Win98 client from
Samba server.

But trying to map volumes from the Samba server fails with
something like "The connection cannot be made permanent".
Even if I try '\\192.168.1.2\sharename' it still doesn't
connect.

I'll answer Seth's questions here:

> samba on a separate machine or on the pptpd server?

Separate machine as illustrated.

> is samba configured as a pdc or what?

No.  Uses /etc/smbpassswd and security=user.

> what version of samba?

2.0.3 (stock RH 5.2).

> what does the bind interfaces only parameter say?

Not set.

> what does the interfaces parameter say?

Not set.

I've been reading the Samba docs and the SMB and NetBIOS
stuff looks fairly complicated.

Do I need to set up broadcast forwarding or something?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any tips.
-Jamie