[pptp-server] Fw: Error 629 with client Windows NT

Emir Toktar toktar at per.com.br
Thu Jun 17 20:59:42 CDT 1999

OK Matthew, I'm attached two log files.

I'm new in Linux and I have doubts. Please, be patient !!

Resume :

Jun 16 22:16:44 devel1 pptpd[1222]: CTRL (PPPD Launcher): remote address = 192.168.1.234
Jun 16 22:16:44 devel1 pppd[1222]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
Jun 16 22:16:44 devel1 pppd[1222]: couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
Jun 16 22:16:44 devel1 pptpd[1221]: GRE: read() from PTY failed: errno = 0

I have a doubt to fill the file /etc/ppp/options
================= options ==================
## lock
## turn pppd syslog debugging on
## Changed by Emir on Jun,10
## change 'servername' to whatever you specify as your server name in chap-secrets *
##
debug
name sol ## machine "sol", it's have users accounts in the network
auth
require-chap ## Is optional ??? default is pap ???
proxyarp
============ end options ===================
* NAME SERVERNAME (??) It's name NetBIOS (computer name) like in NT?

a) In my configuration, how Can I do the host "devel1"  (pptpd server)  be a
server working in chap-secrets? Have I  to do any accounts to new users and add in chap-secrets file?

b) If the "sol" machine is chap-secrets, must I fill the records in
files"<chap-secrets> and <pap-secrets>?

c) I have users accounting in the main computer host "sol". This host must
be a server to chap-secrets or I can setup to host "devel1" to be
chap-secrets?

d) At the file "chap-secrets", it's right fill the records like it under
example if the "sol" machine is Main Sever accounts?
======chap-secrets=================
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client          server    secret     IP addresses
lagre\\user1      obelix    passw1    <blank record?>
lagre\\user2      xyz       passw2    <blank record?>
===================================
i.e.
{ remote machine => client over LAN,  machine name "obelix", xxxx and yyyy
are others machines that I will records }
Domain Network : lagre
Domain DNS : ppgia.pucpr.br

e) Is it possible only I add { user_name, name_machine(NetBIOS), password,
blank IP} in chap-secrets?
==========chap-secrets=================
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client   server    secret    IP addresses
user1      obelix    passw1    <blank record?>
===================================

f)  The password (question d & e) is used to authenticate client -to-VPN
Server across one chap-secret or pap-secret server like "sol" or "devel1",
right??

In this case, if "devel1" pptpd server  after the authentication,  the
client will see the internal network and will be necessary one new
authentication. It's possible when the client be authenticate by VPN Server
automatically log to the Network without a new log to any server in the
network?

g) If the clients make a conection to pptpd Server "devel1", the user
accounting will be necessary exist to use or it's necessary only the name
the users on pap or chap-secrets files.

Regard's

Emir Toktar
toktar at per.com.br
toktar at ppgia.pucpr.br

> Emir Toktar wrote:

 Matthew Ramsay,

 what happens when you try and redial? same error loopback?
 A. Yes, for many times.