[pptp-server] PPP 2.3.10

Toktar, Emir EMIR.TOKTAR at bra.xerox.com
Thu Nov 4 07:38:27 CST 1999

Yes, you´re right, but reading README.linux explains better why I
did this when I installed ppp-2.3.8.

~/ppp-2.3.8 directory

[./configure]
[make kernel]

============I cut this text from README.linux==========

....Issue the command:

[make kernel]

from the top level directory. This will install the various include files
and source files into the proper directories in the linux kernel source
tree.If you don't have the kernel installed in the default /usr/src/kernel
directory then it will not work. Instead it will print a message to the
effect that you need to specify the kernel location on the kinstall
command.

The actual message will say:

There appears to be no kernel source distribution in /usr/src/linux. Give
the top-level kernel source directory as the  argument to this script.

usage: kinstall.sh [linux-source-directory]

If, and only if, you receive this message, do the following:
   a. Change to the 'linux' directory with the command:
          [cd linux]
   b. Issue the command:
          [./kinstall.sh /usr/src/linux]

or use the proper location for the kernel rather than /usr/src/linux.
For example, if you have the kernel installed in /usr1/kernel then the
command would be:

           [./kinstall.sh /usr1/kernel]

The script will validate that the kernel is properly installed into that
directory and check the level of the kernel. The installation will not be
accepted if your kernel is too early.

The installation procedure will copy only the files which are
needed. It will not replace any file which should not be
replaced. Please don't second-guess the installation script and
attempt to do the procedure on your own. There are some very subtle
dependencies and if you are not careful, the installation will not
work.

You are free to run the installation script as many times as you
wish. The additional executions will only change the files which have
not been changed.

One more observation before recompiling the kernel.

When you to install RedHat 6.0, avoid to use  compat-egs ... files :
-[o]Development/Languages
-[o]Development/Libraries
-[o]Development/Tools

compat-egs
compat-egs-c++
compat-egs-obj.... Compiler that can be used to generate binaries that
will run on older Red Hat 5.2 or glib 2.0.X

##-----(if kernel < 2.2.8)---------###
# e.g. Build the kernel when < Kernel 2.2.8

If you are using a kernel earlier than 2.2.8, you can either use the
driver in this package or upgrade your kernel to 2.2.8.

RedHat 6.0 - default
kernel-headers-2.2.5-15
kernel-2.2.5-15
kernel-doc-2.2.5-15
kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.5-15
kernel-source-2.2.5-15
kernelcfg-0.5-5

[cd /usr/src/linux/]
[make menuconfig .....if necessary ...]
[make dep]
[make clean]
[make bzImage] # COMPILING the kernel
[make modules]
[make modules_install]

1. Make sure you have gcc-2.7.2 or newer available.  It seems older gcc
versions can have problems compiling newer versions of Linux.  This is
mainly because the older compilers can only generate "a.out"-format
executables.

2. Do a "make zImage" to create a compressed kernel image. If your kernel
is too large for "make zImage", use "make bzImage" instead.

3. If you configured any of the parts of the kernel as `modules' [M], you
will have to do "make modules" followed by "make modules_install".

4. This probably is not necessary, but I always reboot here, type
"shutdown -r now"

###-----(endif  kernel < 2.2.8)---------###

Emir Toktar

+55 (**41) 340-7157