[pptp-server] RC4 stuff with PPP-2.3.10 + IPX

Eric Stratte estradey at pullman.com
Tue Nov 9 02:39:30 CST 1999

Another hurdle surpassed.  MSCHAP-v2 now enabled  :)

I'm not 100% sure if all of my previous kernel/ppp builds were broken.  I
tried SSLeay0.9.9 with 2.3.8 and 2.3.10(I think I was actually stuck with
2.3.10 as far as the /usr/src/linux/drivers/net directory goes, because I
was too timid to delete anything) and I also tried SSLeay 0.6.6b which
seemed to now work as well.

What did work:
starting with a clean ppp-2.3.10 directory
 rm'ing the newer rc4* files from  linux/drivers/net, before going back to
trying 0.6.6b again.
patching with the 2.3.10 patch
editing ppp_mppe.c(both spots i.e. ppp-2.3.10/linux and
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net) to remove the include of rc4_skey.c(whose
contents are in rc4_enc.c for 0.6.6b)
following the directions(novel idea, huh?)

fixing my chap-secrets file.
I had all kinds of permutations(ugh) the simple "user * secret *" works
perfectly
strange thing is I don't have any MS-DOMAIN\\ from my win98 SE box.  I guess
I've never really logged into a domain?

I've still got arp/ipchains to fiddle with and IPX(looks real easy, already
in my kernel)

Does the software compression box on MS-DUN do anything?

What frame type is everyone using for IPX.  One of my IT buddies recommends
etherII since I guess it used to be the only one compatible with TCP/IP on
some nics.  I guess that doesn't matter any more though?

Eric