[pptp-server] Linux NAT support PPTP packet editor/filter?

Chuck Flink cwf at infosecana.com
Thu Nov 18 17:01:48 CST 1999

Thanks, Emir.

You remind us all of one of the arguments justifying PPTP and
L2TP.  The point is that IPsec deals with a security domain
defined strongly by IP addresses.  NAT is philosophically
aimed at what is central to IPsec security.  PPTP (and some
forms of L2TP) has PPP as the "tunneled" protocol.  It is
only because PPP can carry IP that PPTP tunnels IP at all.
This has the advantage of moving the endpoints of the security
domain to the PPTP gateway machines.  The NAT is no
longer a key component in the security analysis of the
"tunneled" address space, though it still protects the home
LAN on which the tunnel end point (PCa) is located.

Of course, as a side of using PPP as the tunneled protocol,
PPTP/L2TP can also carry NetBEUI, IPX and theoretically
any protocol which PPP can carry.

I guess I was too quick to say I'd rather use IPsec than PPTP.

Certainly the IPsec standard is FAR more analyzed and
understood than PPTP, but the security perimeter it supports
in the case in question ends up opening the work domain to
greater risk by exposing it to all PCs on the LAN, not just
the one that I want accessing the work domain.

Interesting business, isn't it.

-Chuck