Fw: [pptp-server] problem using pptp ...

Emir Toktar toktar at per.com.br
Wed Nov 24 19:34:15 CST 1999

Subject: [pptp-server] problem using pptp ...

| My question is :
| - is pppd invoqued by pptpd or it had to be launched at start up or by
| inetd ?
| - pptpd have to be launched at the start up or by inetd ?

TIP: I'm using "strace [options]" to follow the sequence. For example:
$ strace -p 708   ## 708 is pid of the pptpd that is active

| - when i launched pptpd i have this message :
| No free connection slots or IPs available - no more client can connect !
| There is a response oin the pptp FAQ but i don't understand ... what i
| have to do ?

When I had this problem, I was using NT and hadn't setting exclusion range
from my NT Server (this must be set if you had been DHCP).

| Finally, when i connect to my vpn server with win95 (with DUN1.3) i have
|
| Error 629 : you have been disconnected from the computer you dialed ...
 Errors 650 629 645 ...

 646 ERROR_RESTRICTED_LOGON_HOURS
 647 ERROR_ACCT_DISABLED
 648 ERROR_PASSWD_EXPIRED
 649 ERROR_NO_DIALIN_PERMISSION
 691 ERROR_AUTHENTICATION_FAILURE
 709 ERROR_CHANGING_PASSWORD

When I had this problem, I saw any mistakes in my configuration.
Look at

[options file]
lock
name server123 # must be same in chap-secrets
+chap
proxyarp

[chap-secrets file]
#client  server      secret   IP addresses
userA    server123    userSecret    *

and in your dialup Win95 box:

login : userA
passwd: userSecret
domain: let blank  or 'IP VPN' or 'server123'

I usually did it with a blank option (my preference...)

Regards

Emir