[pptp-server] Using encrypted passwords in the chap-secrets file

Joakim Franzen joakim at island.liu.se
Sun Nov 28 05:45:11 CST 1999

Has anyone managed to use either a hashed SAMBA password or even
better,  encrypted password from the passwd file. Since we have approx
1500 users I need to use either hashed or encrypted passwords, creating
a chap-secrets file with cleartext passwords is not an option.

Another problem I'm having (which I have seen other people on the
mailing list asking about as well) is to force "Require encrypted data".
As it is now +chap-msxxx only forces encrypted passwords, but the user
can still connect without using data encryption if they configure their
Win client incorrectly. This means that all data will be send in clear
text including any passwords (samba, telnet, ftp etc.). Has anyone
managed to find a solution for this?

//Joakim

Joakim Franzen          		Tel : 013-21 22 54
Tegskiftesg 105		     		Fax : 013-21 22 34
583 34 Linköping			Mob : 070-772 80 36
Sweden					joakim at island.liu.se
Systems Administrator	   Linköping Institute of Technology