[pptp-server] options.ttySx?

Andrew Miklas amiklas at bigfoot.com
Fri Sep 3 09:27:00 CDT 1999

Hi all,

Whoa!  That all sounds way to complicated for what I am trying to do.  When I mentioned assigning IPX addresses based on users, I was only looking for an alternative to assigning them by connection (or port if this was a standard ppp config.)

In other words, (in a 'standard' pppd config.) pppd will first check the "options" file, then it will proceed to check the "options.ttySx" series of files depending on what serial port the modem that is making the connection on.  In my case (though it seems not everyone's), pptpd connects with pppd over a pseudo port.  Therefore, when pppd goes looking for an "options.ttySx" file to get any connection specific data, it can't simply because the port being used is not in the ttySx range.

At this point I thought it might be easier to simply assign IPX (and IP to maybe) based on username, so that Bob would always have IPX address 0xABCDEF01 and node 3:0, while say John would have 0xABCDEF02 4:0, but now I see that this isn't the case.  (Yikes!! Patching the code myself :)  don't know C).

Basically, I just need some way to get IPX going with more than one user.  Has anyone been able to do this using pseudo ports?  I don't think that network stuff can be configured in the ip-up/ip-down or ipx-up/ipx-down scripts, otherwise the I could just check parameter $2 and do a bunch of case statements Kevin suggested.  Doesn't the actual IPX initilization need to be handled by pppd during the handshake with the client?  I've tried doing this

ipx_interface add ppp0 EtherII 0xABCDEF01  (excuse my syntax)

after the client has connected, but windows doesn't realize that an extra protocol has just been added to the line, which makes sense, doesn't it?

Would it be possible to get pptpd to communciate with pppd using higher _real_ ttySx ports, like ttyS7, ttyS8, ttyS9, that way this won't confuse some services that run on my modem attached to ttyS3.

Thanks so much for your time,

Andrew Miklas