[pptp-server] Win98 "connection speed"

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Mon Sep 20 01:48:14 CDT 1999

I *BELIEVE* that windows reports the speed of the device it 'pipes' pptp
through as the connection speed. for example, my win98 box at home reports
10,000,000 bps  (10 megabit) as the connection speed, since it is using an
ethernet card as the interface that pptp uses. I'm betting that if this
signifigant person is dialing up using a modem, and windows will report both
dial up connections at the same speed.

There have been reports of severe performance (or at least latency?) loss at
times using pptp, and the (partial) fix there was to comment out the code
that set the packet buffer size (how many packets the other side should send
before it waits for an ack) to the same as the client, and instead hardcode
a value in. That's not a guarenteed performance increase, it's more of a
connection stability thing more than anything.

Kevin