[pptp-server] Win98 "connection speed"

Chris Swan cswan at connectria.com
Mon Sep 20 08:35:11 CDT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Neale Banks <neale at lowendale.com.au>
To: <pptp-server at lists.schulte.org>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 1:21 AM
Subject: [pptp-server] Win98 "connection speed"

> Greetings all,
>
> I have PoPToP running with PPP-2.3.9 and things are mostly well :-)
>
> However, a very significant user is getting variable "connected at
..."
> rates reported - typically 9600 or 57600 - when connecting with
Win98
> (authenticating with mschap-v2 and negotiating mppe :-) and variable
> performance of the PPTP link (still working on establishine a
correlation
> here).
>
> 1) can anyone explain the significance of or provide pointers
discussing
> the significance of this figure?

    I've read around in dejanews a bit, and this seems to be a
Microsoft-ism.  A lot of NT users are consistently reporting 9600 ans
their connected speed, regardless of connection mechanism (cable,
modem, ether, whatever.)  Can you confirm that it _does_ perform at
said rates?  My understanding was that the windows connect speed was
irrelevant, and that the clients performed at their fastest speed.
    If the user turns of Encrypt Data do the connect speeds
consistently increase?

> 2) is there anything in PoPToP/ppp I can/should tweak to optimise
this end
> of things?

Same question from me :)  As TMK suggested, though, fiddling with the
packet buffer size did nothing for me (actually made things worse.)