[pptp-server] PPTP and Samba Woes

Cary T. Conrad conrad at messagesecure.com
Wed Sep 22 07:15:55 CDT 1999

Without getting too deep into this this sound like a clasic naming problem.

Samba (LAN MANAGER/SMB) uses a broadcast scheme to relay and notify the LAN
of naming changes. This is arcane but OK for a lan. You are engineering a
WAN, hence broadcasrts will not be propagated.

FIXES:
1) re-transmit broadcasts: not recommended
2) Use Wins: Have your PC point to the samba server as a WINS server, do
not forget to change the smb.conf file to support WINS

Also, read the FAQ/Docs within the samba distribution for more, or get the
samba book by Blair for more informaiton.