[pptp-server] PPTP and Samba Woes

Jonathan Finnecy jfinnecy at merical.com
Tue Sep 21 18:37:27 CDT 1999

I hope this isn't a repeat question, I tried to scan the archives for an
answer to this one, but wasn't getting much luck.

I am setting up a fairly simple scenario.  I have a Linux box running Samba
on an internal network (192.168.4.X).  This box has a connection to a
firewall, which is running the PoPToP server.  I have a laptop with Win95,
and DUN1.3.  The laptop should connect to the PPTP server/firewall and
access the internal LAN.

The TCP/IP connection/VPN stuff works great (I can ping servers that can't
otherwise ping the outside world from the laptop, and I can ping the
laptop's "internal" IP address from the internal servers).  I can even
simultaneously browse the internet (although I haven't experimented to find
out if the laptop is getting masqueraded back out the firewall or if it is
using its own internet connection to do so).

The one thing I can't seem to do is pass a logon to my SAMBA server.  When
I try to use my drive mappings I get the error "Permanent connection not
available."  From DOS I tried "net use \\server\resource" and I get the
error "Error 3787: You must log on before performing this operation."  "Net
logon" gives me the fun message "Error 3547: You cannot do this from within
an MS-DOS window."

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.  I had a similar problem a
few years ago when I first set up PPP connections to access my servers
directly.  Win95 would send a different username than the one you entered
in the PPP connection dialog-box.  You had to make sure you had the
username the Samba server expected entered in during the "Windows Logon" or
"Microsoft Networking Logon" phase.  I do have the correct username in
place, according to the registry key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon\username".  This username matches those
in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess\Profile\VPN\User", as well as all
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\" "persistent" and "recent" keys.  The only
place a different username appears is under
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess\Profile\Earthlink\User", which has the
username I need to use to log onto my ISP.

Anyone?

-Jon