[pptp-server] Portslave+PPPd+MPPE patch

Robert Dale rdale at digital-mission.com
Thu Sep 23 19:57:20 CDT 1999

Greetings.

First, let me explain what I'm doing here and see if it makes any sense.
Basically, this is a MSCHAPv2/MPPE patch for use in portslave.  I have not
yet tested it, but in theory you should be able to use RADIUS for
authentication.  (If there's another way, please let me know).  The main
reason for doing this is because I have a potential client that wants
to use linux as a firewall and pptp server, but use his NT PDC for
authentication for ease of administration.  Please, let me know if
I'm taking the wrong approach here.  Also, someone on the list earlier
asked if there was a patches portslave for this.  Well, now there is ;)
Hopefully it works.  THIS IS UNTESTED!  I'll hopefully be able to test
it over the weekend, but I wanted to get it out for feedback.

HOWTO:

You want to do the same initial setup of pppd-2.3.8, SSL, mppe.  This is
because the pppd that comes with portslave is a stripped down version
and I have not bothered to see what's different other than kinstall
is absent.

(Stolen from the existing HOWTO by Matthew Ramsay <matthewr at moreton.com.au>)

1. Grab yourself a clean copy of the PPP deamon v2.3.8 (ppp-2.3.8.tar.gz).
        I usually go here for my PPP files: ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/
        Note: You must get the tarball (tar.gz) and *not* the RPM.
2. Grab youself the MSCHAP/MPPE diff file from:
        http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/releases/ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz
3. Grab yourself the SSLeay-0.6.6b file from:
        ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSL/SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz
4. You should now have 3 files:
                ppp-2.3.8.tar.gz
                ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz
                SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz
        Copy these files to your preferred location (I prefer /usr/local/src/)
5. Assuming your files are in /usr/local/src/ and your current working
        directory is also /usr/local/src/ do the following:
                tar zxvf ppp-2.3.8.tar.gz
                gunzip ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz
                tar zxvf SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz
                cp SSLeay-0.6.6b/crypto/rc4/rc4.h ppp-2.3.8/linux/
                cp SSLeay-0.6.6b/crypto/rc4/rc4_enc.c ppp-2.3.8/linux/
                patch -p0 < ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff
                cd ppp-2.3.8
6. The files should now all be in place and we are ready to compile PPP.
        Follow these steps to compile it:
                ./configure
                cd linux
                ./kinstall.sh
                cd /usr/src/linux
                make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net
                make modules_install
                rmmod ppp
                insmod ppp
                insmod ppp_mppe

(Here's where it gets different)
This patch was made against the latest porslave (portslave-1.2.0pre12).
There's probably nothing stopping you from applying this patch to something
relatively current as well, but don't expect the same results!

7. unroll portslave and apply the patch
               tar zxf portslave-1.2.0pre12.tar.gz
               patch -p0 < portslave-1.2.0pre12+PPPD+MPPE.patch
               cd portslave-1.2.0pre12]
               make

8. It should now be built.  Let nature takes it's course...
               make install

(I haven't been this far yet ;)
9. Configure PPTP should be the same
10.  Configure portslave should be the same

Let me know how it goes. ;)

The patch is included as an attachment and at the end of this email.

--
Robert Dale

                   Digital Mission
            http://www.digital-mission.com