[pptp-server] Code to use smbpasswd for pppd chap_ms authentication

James MacLean macleajb at EDnet.NS.CA
Wed Apr 26 19:46:53 CDT 2000

Hi folks,

This is ceratinly not for the pizza, but it is a little patch that allows
smbpasswd file to be used for authentication. I'm just trying to get a
handle on what we are up against to attempt PAM/LDAP/Radius
authentication. This does _not_ use my old radius hack (that never was
posted but was available at http://www.ednet.ns.ca/~macleajb/chapauth1.tgz
as a mess).

This small patch available at:

http://www.ednet.ns.ca/~macleajb/pppsmb.pat

can be tested as follows:

. Install libsmbpw available at :
  http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~atp/comp/libsmb/libsmbpw-1.1.tar.gz and
  move the libs to /usr/local/lib or wherever you may want.
  (this patch includes the 1 header file for linking)
. Compile pppd to make sure it is ready as is.
. Apply this patch. I am using ppp-2.3.11, but with some work it
  should work for everyone.
. Make and install as usuall.
. Add a line (usually to the end) to /etc/ppp/chap-secrets as:
  * * &/etc/smbpasswd *
  which means get passwd from /etc/smbpasswd
. try a pptp <ip> debug name <smbpasswdname> and go from there.

BUGS:
 . When no match is found it tries to use a blank passwd to match with.
   Easy enough to fix I hope.

No Warranty, No expectations.

JES
James B. MacLean        macleajb at ednet.ns.ca