[pptp-server] speed issues and ppp.c compile problems

Mike Edwards medwards at ega.com
Tue Aug 1 14:36:34 CDT 2000

Hi!

After successfully installing pptp and friends on a 486-66 box, we found
that the VPN established was so slow as to be unusable--even with a T1
connection on the server side and a cable modem (600+Kbps downstream,
128+Kbps upstream) on the client side.  My first question then is, What
are the minimum hardware requirements for the PoPToP Server?  I should
add that our main goal is to run a client application over the VPN.
(The software is a print-management system for the commercial printing
industry running on an NT box with MS SQL Server.  The NT pptp server
wouldn't work at all and, besides, it's Not Scottish!)

I am already trying to re-install on a P133 box, but have run into
compilation problems.  I am using a stock Red Hat 2.2.14 kernel and
tarballs of OpenSSL 0.9.5 and ppp-2.3.11.  I applied the appropriate
ppp/openssl/mppe patch before compiling, but when I ran "make modules"
it bombed out on the ppp.c compile, giving errors to the effect of
"static declaration for X follows non-static" where X is
ppp_register_compressor and ppp_unregister_compressor.  Did I miss a
patch somewhere or must I be running a 2.2.16 kernel?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

--
Mike Edwards, MIS