[pptp-server] Win VPN clients behind RedHat6.2 firewall connections to WinNT4 VPN server fails

Tom Eastep teastep at evergo.net
Fri Aug 4 11:03:25 CDT 2000

Thus spoke Steve Westerhouse:

> Thanks everything builds now.  My next problem is how to install these
> binaries on my gateway system.  I didn't install any development environment
> on the gateway system so I'm using another system for this purpose.  I know
> about lilo.conf and lilo.  Is it a simple matter of moving the new kernel
> and module directories over to the gateway system, modifying the lilo.conf
> file and running lilo.  How does the new kernel "know" where to look for the
> new modules and ignore the old ones.  Is there some other config file that
> points the kernel to the proper module directory?

Modules are located in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>.

If the kernel source you are using is the same version as what you are
running, it is a good idea to edit the top-level Makefile and modify the
EXTRAVERSION variable (I usually append my initials or something similar).
This makes the kernel version unique. Note that you have to rebuild after
making this change.

If you have NFS access from your gateway system to your build system, I
recommend installing "make" on the gateway system. Then you can mount the
kernel source tree on the gateway, cd to the kernel source tree and type
"make modules_install".

Failing that, if you've made your kernel version unique as described
above, you can do the "make modules_install" on the build system. The
/lib/modules/<new kernel version> directory created can then be tarred up
and moved to the gateway.

Also move the new kernel, give it a unique name, modify lilo.conf, run
lilo and reboot.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it