[pptp-server] VPN Masquerading Woes

Tom Eastep teastep at evergo.net
Fri Aug 4 12:33:45 CDT 2000

Thus spoke Michael Walter:

> Hello All,
>
> I am working on a test configuration that I am hoping to roll into
> production soon.  I have a win2000 client connecting through a linux masq
> box to a poptop server.  When I connect, the win2000 client makes it to the
> Verifying Username and Password stage and eventually gives Error 619: the
> specified port is not connected.  I have tested the same configuration with
> the client connected directly to the poptop vpn and it work flawlessly.  I
> have also tried this with several different clients against the test and our
> production poptop vpn's with the same results.  I have the chap-secrets and
> pap-secrets files set up correctly and they both contain the login I am
> trying to use.  Has anyone had these kind of problems with VPN masquerading?
> If so, did you find any type of resolution?  Thanks in advance for any help,

You must:

a) patch your kernel as described at
http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/ip_masq_vpn.html.

b) run ipfwd on the gateway system:

	ipfwd --masq <pptp-server IP addr> 47

c) Port forward port 1723 to the server.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it