[pptp-server] VPN Masquerading Woes

Michael Walter walterm at Gliatech.com
Tue Aug 8 10:38:36 CDT 2000

Thanks for the advice so far, but I am still having a lot of problems with
this.  I have read through the last 6 months of postings on this group as
well as the vpn masq howto and everything I could find through web searches
on the subject and I am still at square 1, just slightly more frustrated.
These are the tools I am using:

kernel-2.2.16-12.i386.rpm from the rawhide section of ftp.redhat.com (This
comes with the vpn masq patch built in)
also tried kernel-2.2.16 from www.kernel.org with
ip_masq_vpn-2.2.15.patch.gz applied succesfully.
ipfwd-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
ipmasqadm-0.4.2-3.i386.rpm

Here is my test configuration:
=======================
| Win2000 client      |
| 192.168.0.10/24     |
=======================

=======================
| 192.168.0.1/24      |
| Linux Masq/Firewall |
| 192.0.0.200/24      |
=======================

=======================
| 192.0.0.1           |
| Linux VPN           |
| 10.0.0.15           |
=======================

I have the ip_masq_pptp.o module installed on the linux Masq/Firewall box,
do I also need it on the Linux VPN?  This is what my boot script looks like
on the Linux Masq/Firewall:

ipchains -F
ipmasqadm portfw -f
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
insmod ip_masq_pptp
insmod ip_masq_ftp
ipchains -P input ACCEPT
ipchains -P output ACCEPT
ipchains -P forward REJECT
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 192.168.0.1 1723 -R 192.0.0.1 1723
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P udp -L 192.168.0.1 1723 -R 192.0.0.1 1723
ipfwd 192.168.0.10 47 &

I have no problem connecting to the vpn server, but it basically never
manages to authenticate the client.  As a test too, I set all the addresses
involved to non-private addresses, set the default gateway on the Vpn Server
to the linux masq firewall, and enabled port forwarding without any masq-ing
and things worked great.  As soon as I masq the private addresses though,
everything stops working.  Is there some hidden issue involved in the use of
private addresses that I haven't found.  Has anyone gotten a configuration
like this working, am I overlooking something simple?  Do I need to make any
changes on the  VPN Server itself?

Thanks,

Michael J. Walter
mcse mcp+i rhce a+