[pptp-server] Config tools in the making

Kenneth E. Lussier kenlussier at mediaone.net
Mon Aug 7 21:03:28 CDT 2000

All,

One *REALLY* nice feature of the commercial pptp server from
Moretonbay is the web-based configuration tools. However, since
the config tools are what give the Nettel boxes there value, I
doubt that they will ever be released under the GPL. So, I was
thinking about writing a web-based config tool (or set there of)
for PoPToP myself. I want to make it as complete as possable, so
I wanted to ask the list what sort options/features should be
included. There is a list of things I have already thought of
below. Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome. All of
this is subject to files being in standard places (/etc,
/etc/ppp, /usr/src/linux). The one draw back is the init file.
Several systems use /etc/rc.d/init.d while others use /etc/rc.x.
I'll have to study a Debian system to see exactly how to do this
(probably a menu option to change the directory trees).

Kenny

Here is my vision:

INSTALLER:
An installer that applies a unified diff to the kernel to install
the mppe encryption with multiple kernel patches to choose from
(2.2.14-2.2.16)(up to the user to configure, build, and install
new kernel), install/compile/ source and install
patched/encrypted pppd, install pptpd server.

Web-based configuration:

     PPPD Config:
Authentication method
Add/remove users (dependant on auth method)
Server name
select encryption method required (if any)
DNS and/or WINS servers to be assigned to clients

     PPTPD (pptpd.conf) config:
remote and local IP addresses allowed
line speed selection
options file to use