[pptp-server] Config tools in the making

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at mclinux.com
Tue Aug 8 07:14:12 CDT 2000

Martin McFlySr wrote:
> PoPToP also using on FreeBSD, and in FreeBSD we have files in
> /etc/ppp
> /usr/src
>
> KEL> Several systems use /etc/rc.d/init.d while others use /etc/rc.x.
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d

OK, I will admit to my ignorance of *BSD. I have never used any of them,
so I'm not really sure where they put things. Thanks for the pointers.
I'll look into the *BSD's and try to make the tools as well-rounded as
possable.

> KEL> Here is my vision:
>
> KEL> INSTALLER:
> KEL> Web-based configuration:
>
> i think, must be two diffrent parts:

I agree. However, the installer can/will install the configuration
utilities.

> * installer;
> * web-based admin tool.
>
> KEL>      PPPD Config:
> KEL> Authentication method
> KEL> Add/remove users (dependant on auth method)
> in ppp.secret must can add/change/remove line this format:
> billy           bob             1.2.3.4

Is this line "USERNAME		SECRET		ASSIGNED IP" ? If so, then that is the
same as the syntax as the chap-secrets files (at least how I do it,
anyway).

> may be, you can include module for modify dhcpd config file?

That is a little tough. dhcpd config files are different for every dhcp
server out there. The syntax changes alone would be near impossable to
impliment. I'm not quite sure why it would be needed, either? But, as
everything should be, this will be 100% open source (under GPL). So, if
anyone wants to muck with it and add dhcp support, go for it.

Kenny

--
Kenny Lussier
Systems Administrator