[pptp-server] RedHat5.9 + pptpd + pppd (with mschap patches)

Kurakin Roman rik at cronyx.ru
Wed Aug 16 10:19:29 CDT 2000

Hi,

I have RH 5.9 with kernel 2.2.16, pppd 2.3.11 with mschap patches,
pptpd (1.1.1 or 1.0.0)
This is all information about system that I can give at this moment.
If it is not enough I will send addition information.

First problem was with pppd. It tried to get pty name and then stat it,
but failed because system return wrong name (/dev/pts/0rc insted of
/dev/pts/0). This was solved by changing stat to fstat.

Second problem:
pptpd[499]: MGR: Launching /usr/local/sbin/pptpctrl to handle
client
pptpd[499]: CTRL: local address = 172.16.0.1
pptpd[499]: CTRL: remote address = 172.16.0.2
pptpd[499]: CTRL: pppd speed = 115200
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Client 192.168.0.1 control connection
started
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Received PPTP Control Message (type:
1)
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Made a START CTRL CONN RPLY packet
pptpd[499]: CTRL: I wrote 156 bytes to the client.
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Sent packet to client
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Received PPTP Control Message (type:
7)
pptpd[499]: CTRL: 0 min_bps, 0 max_bps, 32 window size
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Made a OUT CALL RPLY packet
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd, opening
GRE)
pptpd[499]: CTRL: pty_fd = 4
pptpd[499]: CTRL: tty_fd = 5
pptpd[500]: CTRL (PPPD Launcher): Connection speed =
115200
pptpd[500]: CTRL (PPPD Launcher): local address =
172.16.0.1
pptpd[500]: CTRL (PPPD Launcher): remote address =
172.16.0.2
pptpd[499]: CTRL: I wrote 32 bytes to the client.
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Sent packet to client
kernel: CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of
California
kernel: PPP: version 2.3.11 (demand dialling)
kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
kernel: registered device ppp0
pptpd[390]: MGR: Reaped child 499
pptpd[499]: Error reading from pppd: Input/output
error
pptpd[499]: CTRL: GRE read or PTY write failed
(gre,pty)=(5,4)
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Client 192.168.0.1 control connection
finished
pptpd[499]: CTRL: Exiting now

I have some ideas about it, but I dont have time for investigation
all of them.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kurakin Roman