[pptp-server] ipx over pptp

Mark Lin linmark at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 21:54:27 CDT 2000

Hi all:
    I've recently due to gamer's need, set up a VPN server using pptpd in redhat 6.1, kernel
2.2.20-12.  Everything works, my friends can all login to my vpn server and browse each other's network neighborhood which is all good except that most important part wasn't working.  We trying to set up VPN server with IPX encapsulated in IP so that we could play network game, such as half life, in LAN mode.  By using VPN, we figure that since each client is given a temporary MAC address and IP, the game should recognize it as a LAN game.  But so much for our anticipation, we couldn't see any thing in LAN which means that our IPX doesn't get routed.  Another interesting fact, after my clients log in to VPN server, their ip will change to the ones I assigned to them in PPTP server when you use 'winipcfg' in windows98.  But when the game starts up, it still use the orginal IP and MAC address instead of the one that was assigned by VPN server.

I e-mailed the author of IPX+PPTP HOWTO about my question, he says and I quote "ipx usus different network numbers for each connection i believe, this is
siminar to the subnet in tcp. If the game doesnt support specifying the
remote ipx network then you wont be able to use ptp :(

Kevin           "

I guess now my question is, anyone knows if there is a way to put all the incoming connection from pppd to a same IPX network number??  Or just simply anyone already experimented with VPN for LAN game purpose?  (I wont believe no one ever thought of this before me, this probably has been done long time already since the introduction of VPN, but maybe NT's VPN would be easier for this kinda task??)

Cheers,
Mark