[pptp-server] ipx over pptp

Mark Lin linmark at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 03:09:51 CDT 2000

Mr.  Grim:
      Maybe I should make it more clear, what I really want is to have IPX over IP VPN.  I think we have a little miscommunication.  First of all, I don't think all the network interfaces need to have the same network number, at least for my game purpose. They could be any number, but what I really want is to have VPN(virtual private network) server(pptpd) set the incoming connections(IP) to a same network number(IPX) and different node numbers(IPX).  Secondly, does it matter if the network interfaces think it's receiving ipx data from different ipx network?  It doesn't, because it's receiving IP data, not IPX.
    I know one thing for sure that pptpd of VPN server assigns a different network number for each connections, that is if the range of ipx nets was specified in its configuration file.  I also notice that pppd, which pptpd used as dial-in server, has the options for ipx-network and ipx-node in its option file, but even when I add more node in one network in the option file(/etc/ppp/options), one the first computer can get ipx, and the next client simply wont have IPX networking.  I guess ipx-node option is probably for the computers on the same lan with the connecting computer.  Maybe I mess up somewhere in ppp options, but please tell me where.

    Lastly, i just found out there IS a program doing specifically bridging two ipx networks called IPXTUNNEL. It's available on ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/daemons/
made by Andreas Godzina ag at agsc.han.de.
I havn't try the program yet, but if any of you have experienced with it, please reply to me, I would really like to get this IPX over IP thing going for my game! :))

cheers,
Mark