[pptp-server] Performance

Derek Simkowiak dereks at kd-dev.com
Fri Aug 18 13:45:24 CDT 2000

-> I have a user complaining that performance seems lacking when
-> he VPN's in via his cablemodem.  We have a 784K SDSL link and
-> no one was on it but him.  Does pptpd speed get limited to 115K?

	That seems to be the case.  Check the archives; people can't seem
to get faster that 115K.  Setting different MTUs doesn't fix it, either.
The speeds for the Linux PPTP server and WindowsNT server are roughly
equal, although WindowsNT is just a little faster.

	What I have not seen is someone using the Linux client into the
Linux PPTP server.  As far as I know, the ~115K limitation might be in the
MS-Windows PPTP client.

	Can anyone here verify?

	Also, we don't know where the bottleneck is.  It does not seem to
be in the network *or* in the CPU, which is why I think it might be in the
client...(?)

--Derek Simkowiak