[pptp-server] Performance

Andrew McRory amacc at iron-bridge.net
Fri Aug 18 15:17:45 CDT 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> I have a user complaining that performance seems lacking when
> -> he VPN's in via his cablemodem.  We have a 784K SDSL link and
> -> no one was on it but him.  Does pptpd speed get limited to 115K?
>
> 	That seems to be the case.  Check the archives; people can't seem
> to get faster that 115K.  Setting different MTUs doesn't fix it, either.
> The speeds for the Linux PPTP server and WindowsNT server are roughly
> equal, although WindowsNT is just a little faster.
>
> 	What I have not seen is someone using the Linux client into the
> Linux PPTP server.  As far as I know, the ~115K limitation might be in the
> MS-Windows PPTP client.
>
> 	Can anyone here verify?

I have used PoPToP across DSL, Cable Modems and point to point links.
Never once saw a performance problem (except IPX routing) and get over
40kbps on a 1024kbps cable modem. The speed setting in the PoPToP config
file is 115200 so it doesn't seem to matter what it's set to.

Windows always reports a connection rate of 100,000,000 when I'm on a
100MB LAN routed through a Linux box with ip_mask_pptp loaded... Here's my
config files:

==== /etc/pptp.conf ====
speed 115200
option /etc/pptpd.options
localip 10.10.10.1
remoteip 10.10.10.240-254
listen 256.176.322.777 (intentionaly malformed address :)

==== /etc/pptpd.options ====
lock
auth
login
proxyarp
name vpnconn
require-pap
ms-wins 10.10.10.1
ms-dns 10.10.10.1

==== /etc/rc.d/init.d/pptpd - Caldera OpenLinux 2.x ====
#!/bin/sh
#
# pptpd         This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#               pptpd (PPTP VPN daemon).
#
#
NAME=pptpd
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/$NAME

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
 start)
  [ ! -e $SVIlock ] || exit 1
  [ -x $DAEMON ] || exit 0

  # Start daemons.
  echo -n "Starting PPTPD VPN service: "
  ssd -S -x $DAEMON -n $NAME -- $OPTIONS
  echo "."

  touch $SVIlock
  ;;

 stop)
  [ -e $SVIlock ] || exit 0

  # Stop daemons.
  echo -n "Shutting down PPTPD VPN service: "
  ssd -K -x $DAEMON -n $NAME
  echo "."

  rm -f $SVIlock
  ;;

 reload)
  [ -e $SVIlock ] || exit 0
  echo -n "Reloading PPTPD VPN service: "
  ssd -K --signal 1  -x $DAEMON -n $NAME
  echo "."
  ;;

 *)

  echo "Usage: pptpd {start|stop|reload}"
  exit 1
  ;;
esac

exit 0

==== /etc/sysconfig/daemons - Caldera OpenLinux 2.x ====
IDENT=pptpd
DESCRIPTIVE="PPTPD VPN Server"
ONBOOT="no"

See? Nothing special me thinks...

Andrew McRory - President/CTO      amacc at iron-bridge.net *****************
The PC Doctor, Inc.                www.pcdr.com            850-575-2713 **
Iron Bridge Communications by PCDR www.iron-bridge.net     850-575-0779 **
Contributed Caldera OpenLinux RPMS ftp.iron-bridge.net/pub/Caldera      **