[pptp-server] Duplicate IP addresses (remote and local)?

kend at flyingtoasters.net kend at flyingtoasters.net
Mon Dec 4 13:46:47 CST 2000

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Brian Aust wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Well i can think of two things...  well actually three, to check.
>
> 	1.  in my pptpd.conf file, my localip is ONLY the IP address of the
> poptop server, it isn't a range.

Hmmm.  I'll give that a shot.

> 	2.  do you have a DNS and DHCP server listed in your options file?
> There should be a line like:    ms-wins 10.1.1.2 (or whatever the IP addy of
> your WINS server is)

No, I didn't; I was really just trying to get it passing IP (i and hadn't
(yet) concerned myself with DNS.  Out of curiosity:

- where is this documented?  I don't recall seeing mention of this in the
  PoPToP FAQs and HOWTOs.
- Why would I need the DHCP server to be listed?  Is there interaction
  with the DHCP server for info that DHCP would normally dish out?

> 	3.  make sure you have ip_forwarding enabled on your machine so that
> the WINS server can dish addresses out.

Yah -- this is enabled.  Packets pass through quite nicely...

Thanks for your prompt response to my original e-mail!

-Ken