[pptp-server] First time error

Gord Belsey gord at amador.ca
Wed Dec 13 08:21:06 CST 2000

Bjarke:

Here's myn guess.  On the client, check /var/run/pptp.  The client (or at
least the one I use....by C. S. Ananian) creates a file in their named for
the IP address of the server.  However, it doesn't clen it up when it dies,
fails or is brought down in any way.  When you try to fire up the client
again, you get the socket in use error.  I added a line in
/etc/ppp/ip-down.local to remove this file when pptp's ppp interface goes
down.

On the server side, I added lcp-echo-failure 10 and lcp-echo-interval 1 to
/etc/ppp/options.  This says "no response after 1 second = failure" and "10
failures means link is dead...close it".  You can adjust the numbers, but I
found this cleans up the server side so it's ready to accept a new
connection from that client.

Basically, PoPToP and the pptp client is good stuff, but it was up to me to
write scripts to do clean up, and to start, restart and stop a client
connection.    Note that I'm still running PoPToP 1.0.0, so your mileage may
vary.

Hope this helps

Gord Belsey