[pptp-server] upgrade from RH6.2 kernel for pptpd and NIC tro uble

George Vieira georgev at citadelcomputer.com.au
Sat Dec 16 22:44:40 CST 2000

What do you have in your /etc/conf.modules ? Is the card specifically being
assigned a IO and IRQ? Eg.
[root at newjackswing /root]# cat /etc/conf.modules
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=15			#<-- specifically telling
where the NIC is
alias eth1 ne1
options ne1 io=0x340 irq=5			#<-- specifically telling
where the NIC is

first try a `lsmod` and see if your NIC modules is in there. eg.
[root at newjackswing /root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_deflate            40788   2  (autoclean)
ip_masq_icq             7608   1
ip_masq_ftp             2616   0  (unused)
ip_masq_portfw          2560  10  (autoclean)
ppp                    20204   4  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
slhc                    4500   1  (autoclean) [ppp]
ne1                     6736   1  (autoclean)			#<----
NE2000 for ADSL
ne                      6732   1  (autoclean)               #<---- NE2000
for LAN
8390                    6420   0  (autoclean) [ne1 ne]

If it is there then try unloading the card and do a `modprobe ne io=0x300
irq=5` or whatever card and settings you have..

If it errors that it can't find the module then you haven't compiled the
module drivers for the card.