[pptp-server] PoPToP install clarification

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Tue Feb 1 13:10:20 CST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Chris Williams wrote:

> I'm new to PoPToP and VPNs in general.  I think I get the basic idea.  In
> the PoPToP user guide, it refers to the /etx/pptpd.conf and says the
> contents should look like:
>
> speed 115200
> localip 192.168.0.234-238
> remoteip 192.168.1.234-238
>
> What do the local and remote IP's mean?  Does it have anything to do with
> my current IP or can I assign the clients any old IP I want?

The Local IP should be an address that is valid on the machine that PPTPD
is running on, and will appear as the "Point-to-Point" address for the
client. The Remote IP addresses are the IP's that are handed out to client
machines; you will need one for each machine you will have simultaneously
connected. Here's an example config:

localip 192.168.100.254
remoteip 192.168.100.240-192.168.100.253

In this configuration, one of the interfaces on the firewall machine is
configured as 192.168.100.254, and the clients receive the addresses
.240-.253.

--
Nate Carlson <carlson at real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700