[pptp-server] PoPToP install problems (fwd)

Chris Williams willic2 at mail.auburn.edu
Wed Feb 2 16:18:05 CST 2000

I'm a newbie to Linux in the grand scheme of things.  We are trying to
install PoPToP as per the 19990813 PoPToP HOWTO/FAQ.  I'm getting errors
when I try to run the ./kinstall.sh command as detailed in step 6.0 under
PPP Installation.  I've included a dump from the output of the install
script.  I was wondering if someone on the list could take a look and
tell me what you think may be wrong.  So far, I've followed the directions
to a "T".  The problem may be that by default, the RedHat 6.1
(clean installation) source files were not installed in /usr/source/linux
so I downloaded the files:
kernel-2.2.12-20.i386.rpm
kernel-headers-2.2.12-20.i386.rpm
kernel-source-2.2.12-20.i386.rpm
And installed the kernel-source and headers using rpm.  Rpm told me the
headers were already installed but did install the source.

I really appreciate it!

Here is the dump from kinstall.sh.  I'm not sure if all the "couldn't find
... file" errors are something I should be worrying about.
[root at coedsnet2 linux]# ./kinstall.sh

Notice to the user:

It is perfectly legal for this script to run without making any changes
to your system. This means that the system currently contains the
necessary changes to support this package. Please do not attempt to
force this script to replace any file nor make any patch. If you do so
then it is probable that you are actually putting older, buggier, code
over the newer, fixed, code. Thank you.

Installing into kernel version 2.2.12 in /usr/src/linux

/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/bsd_comp.c is not older than bsd_comp.c,
skipping
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.c is not older than ppp_deflate.c,
skipping
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/zlib.c is not older than zlib.c, skipping
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/zlib.h is not older than zlib.h, skipping
Could not find source file ppp_mppe.c !
Could not find source file ppp_lzscomp.c !
Could not find source file ppp_lzscomp.h !
Could not find source file mppe.h !
Could not find source file ../pppd/sha.h !
Could not find source file ../pppd/sha1dgst.c !
Could not find source file ../pppd/sha_locl.h !
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/rc4_enc.c is not older than rc4_enc.c, skipping
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/rc4.h is not older than rc4.h, skipping
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_ppp.h is not older than
../include/linux/if_ppp.h, skipping
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_pppvar.h is not older than
../include/linux/if_pppvar.h, skipping
Saving old /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ppp-comp.h as ppp-comp.old.h
Installing new /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ppp-comp.h
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/ppp_defs.h is not older than
../include/linux/ppp_defs.h, skipping
Saving old /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.c as ppp.old.c
Installing new /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.c
Adding BSD compression module to drivers makefile...(already
there--skipping)
Adding Deflate compression module to drivers makefile...(already
there--skipping)
Adding MPPE compression module to drivers makefile.....
Kernel driver files installation done.