[pptp-server] Tunneling to reach public IP address?

Chuck Flink cwf at att.net
Fri Feb 4 16:45:50 CST 2000

See my page:
http://www.infosecana.com/dumb_pptp_testing_tricks.htm

In there is an example of the way the route table "pushes down"
when you have the "use remote gateway" checked.

Using the pure vanilla DUN interface to dial PPTP (e.g. as is
in Win98se used in the example above), your options for handling
the route table is limited to the check box for "use remote gateway".
If you want to implement more complex routing rules by changing
the route table one way upon completion of the tunnel connection,
then undoing that when the tunnel comes down, you should get hold
of the "Connection Manager"
http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/IEAK/technote/deploygd/APPD.asp

This is a wizard that builds connection scripts that include automatic
running of programs at various points of the process between start
and finish of a tunnel session.  E.g. it lets you build a connectoid that
will first dial via a modem to an ISP (using one name and password)
and then "dial" via a PPTP virtual modem to a PPTP (using another
authentication pair) and then launch a specific set of programs....
all by clicking one shortcut on your desktop.

It is used by WorldNet to implement their "Global Roaming" service
for their business dial customers..... (some of the WorldNet security
is dependent on dialing into a WorldNet modem pool and being
assigned a 12.*.*.* address.  If you're out of the country and want
to get back to your WorldNet resources, you install their Global
Roaming connectoid and it calls a local ISP in whatever country
you're in and then PPTP tunnels to a WorldNet PoP.... assigning
you, upon proper authentication, a 12.<something> address as if
you had dialed in to one of their PoPs directly.  Ain't VPNs great?!

- Chuck Flink