[pptp-server] Redhat installation clarification question

Chris Williams willic2 at mail.auburn.edu
Thu Feb 3 14:52:11 CST 2000

Ok, now I've done the chap-secrets stuff but I get this when I try to run
pptpd:
[root at coedsnet2 /root]# /usr/sbin/pptpd -d
[root at coedsnet2 /root]# createHostSocket: Address already in use

And it bombs.  This is on a newly installed linux system with the pptp
stuff installed.  Reading through a bunch of how to's, at this point I'm
supposed to be able to run pptpd after only editing the chap-secrets and
/etc/ppp/options files.  This doesn't seem right when looking through the
"other" installation howto's.  One specifically mentions the
/etc/pptpd.conf which in my config looks like all the lines are commented
out.  This other doc says I need to do this:
speed 115200
localip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (i guess that my linux box's ip goes here)
remoteip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (i guess a valid ip on my internal net goes
here?)

Any other files I need to configure?  Will fixing this /etc/pptpd.conf
file fix my problem when running pptpd?  (I'd go ahead and do it but I'm
not sure what goes where)

Also (and much more importantly!), the file I'm looking at says "at this
point vpn should be working without encryption.  This is great (if I can
ever get it working).  How would I test this?  Can I just grab a Win 98
laptop and set up a vpn adapter but say "don't use encryption" or
something?

And on another really lame clarification:  the client will dial up
through a modem to his/her isp and then try to set up a connection to my
linux pptp server and from there all ip traffic goes through the internet
through my server and onto my lan right?

Thanks a lot!
Chris Williams