[pptp-server] Win 98 second edition won't connect

Gareth Marlow Gareth_Marlow at scientia.com
Fri Feb 4 08:20:56 CST 2000

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 02:51:03PM +0100, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> What's that "Workgroup\\" doing in front of my username?

You need to RTF howto on the PoPToP webpage. Basically, windows clients
can sometimes prepend the domain or workgroup name to username they send
in a CHAP session - this is what you're seeing. Someone has worked around
the problem by hacking the source to chop off the \\ and everything before
it. I and others have got around it by adding it to  our
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets, i.e. have two lines to cover all eventualities:

gareth * <password> *
workgroup\\gareth * <password> *

Gareth