[pptp-server] Win 98 second edition won't connect

Patrick Reid Patrick at reidworld.dynip.com
Fri Feb 4 11:05:54 CST 2000

You can set the domain which your VPN connection attempts to use by editing
the registry.

All standard regedit warnings apply here - do this at your own risk, don't
screw around if you don't know what you are doing, and make sure you back up
your registry before editing it. This is for Windows 98:

run regedit, and go to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess\Profile\ReidWorld VPN

Except for your machine "ReidWorld VPN" will be whatever you named the DUN
connection which links you to you VPN.

There will be a "Domain" entry in this key - in your case it will have a
single space as the Data for the "Domain" value. (Possibly it will be
absent - I've never seen that sort of name for the Domain). Change it to
whatever you want your domain name to be - if you are running SAMBA or a
Windows SMB network, you will probably want to use the name of your
workgroup or domain.

You will have to make sure your chap-secrets file is consistent with this
new domain name.

Patrick Reid - mailto:PReid at candesco.com
Candesco Research Corp.
Communication Centre: <http://www.mirabilis.com/1052176>