[pptp-server] NT client will not connect/LINUX client will not connect

Hytham Hytham at Reamined.on.ca
Wed Feb 9 08:05:19 CST 2000

Quick set-up overview:

Sorry if this is a stupid problem, but I have limited LINUX experience.

@Home using:  RH 6.1, PPTPD v1.0.0, PPTP client v1.0.2, PPPD v2.3.10
IP Address:  1.1.1.1 of Linux Client, & pptpd server
Remote Server:  2.2.2.2 running NT Server 4.0 RAS

I am having a great deal of trouble getting either end to work properly.
When connecting with the Linux client, I always get the error message that
the remote client should authenticate itself.  I am pretty sure that I have
set-up the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file correctly.  Here is a snip from the
log file:

Feb  9 00:10:56 Tigerden pppd[696]: The remote system (2.2.2.2) is required
to authenticate itself but I
Feb  9 00:10:56 Tigerden pppd[696]: couldn't find any suitable secret
(password) for it to use to do so.

I also receive this error when I connect using the Linux client:

Feb  9 00:03:22 Tigerden pppd[665]: In file /etc/ppp/options: unrecognized
option '+chapms'

The previous message will also repeat with +chapms-v2, mppe-40.

When I attempt to connect with my NT client I always receive an "error 629:
The data link was terminated by the remote machine."

I have include my /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets files....If
anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client	            	           server	        secret		            IP
addresses
2.2.2.2			           1.1.1.1	        ********	                        *
<------------ LINUX PPTPD server
workgroup\\administrator       2.2.2.2            ********
*                          <------------ remote NT PPTP server

I am pretty sure where I made the error in the chap-secrets file, I am
simply hoping that someone would confirm that.

# Options File snip:

lock
debug
auth
+chap
proxyarp
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless

I understand the localip is the interface which pptpd will listen for
incoming connections, while the remote ip option is for addressing purposes
to those clients connecting right?

pptpd.conf file snip:

# TAG: option
#
#	Specifies the location of the PPP options file.
#	By default PPP looks in '/etc/ppp/options'
#
#option /this/is/the/options/file

#
localip 1.1.1.1