[pptp-server] pptp client and poptop (Am I going crazy)

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Mon Feb 14 15:49:53 CST 2000

Ok, I'm already bald... so I can't loose any more hair. I have been
successful in setting up Poptop along with all the pppd patches for 2.3.10
and have successfully connected to the my Poptop server (behind a linux
based firewall) using my Laptop running NT 4.0 (SP6). All services (across
the tunnel) work just fine, NetBios, network neighborhood, Outlook with
Exchange server, proxyarp. I could not be happier.

Now I would like to connect another linux box to this same server using pptp
client. I have referenced the link on the Poptop website, but all I get is
the stupid message

/usr/sbin/pppd: The remote system (defiant) is required to authenticate
itself but I
/usr/sbin/pppd: couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use
to do so.

This is driving me crazy. I have tried every conceivable combination in the
chap-secrets file I can think of along with every pppd option from the man
pages. In browsing through the poptop archives I found a few posts where
people were having the same problem, but no definitive response.

I guess my question is... Is there anyone "successfully" using the pptp
client (1.0.2)? If so, could you please post your options and chap-secrets
file or point me in the right direction. I'm about to go back to setting up
an IPIP tunnel which works fine from both linux boxes.

Sorry for ranting, I'm just a man possessed in making this work.

Steve Cowles

============ pptp client invocations =========
./pptp defiant name cowles\\scowles remotename defiant
./pptp defiant name voyager user cowles\\scowles remotename defiant

I have tried a million combinations of above.

======= My chap-secrets file =========
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
cowles\\scowles  defiant password
COWLES\\scowles  defiant password
scowles  defiant password

======= My options file ==============