[pptp-server] select() error...

Mark Rolen mrolen at uswest.net
Wed Feb 16 23:55:55 CST 2000

I've seen another question posted about this, but haven't found it answered
or addressed yet while digging through the archives...

CTRL: Error with select(), qutting

I see this after my client has initiated a connection with the server, and
it results in the closing of the control connection and a 'disconnected'
error on my windows box.  I've seen in my successful connections that I get
this error where I normally see the MSCHAP-v2 authentication success
message; is the select() function part of the chap authentication, or is it
a bit more 'generic' than that, and this is just coincidence?  I see I also
have select() errors when I stop a normal, successful vpn connection.

So far, the only way I've found to address this is to kill pptpd and remove
all of the corresponding modules, then reload them.  I've only been trying
this a few hours now, but strangely enough it seems as though, if I start
them right back up, I'm still getting the errors, but if the systems sits
for a bit, then I start them up, it works.  Perhaps I've pissed it off
somehow...   : )   This isn't really scientific or anything, I've only seen
this behaviour twice, but it's notable that the delay before restarting the
services has seemed to be the ticket twice in a row.

Has this issue already been hashed out and solved, and I just haven't found
it in the archives yet?  If anyone would care to point me to a narrower
path, I'm more than happy to read up on it...

Thanks,
Mark Rolen