[pptp-server] MAN Page Mistake? Daemon Handling?

Net- Head ctc911ctc at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 13:54:42 CST 2000

System: x86
OS:     Solaris
PPTP:   1.0.0
Issue:  Daemon not staying up

I was trying to set up a solaris system to act as a
pptp server. Though when pptp is lauched manually
everything works great. However when a client
disconnects, pptpd dies............

Reviewing the documentation I found that it is
suggested to use pptpctrl when using inetd. Pursuing
this I found a man page error. There is an invocation
example with option enabled and one without, however
both examples are exactly the SAME!

Here is the cut-n-paste

EXAMPLES
pptpctrl stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in
inetd.conf
to  run  pptpctrl to service incoming pptp
connections using
the tcp wrapper /usr/sbin/tcpd.  The  options
here  are  no
debugging,  default  pppd  options  file,
default speed and
default IP addresses.  The --buffer-- string is
ignored  and
is  there to extend the process name so that the
process can

SunOS 5.5.1        Last change: 13 August 1999
         1

PPTPCTRL(8)          Maintenance Procedures
PPTPCTRL(8)

change its name to include the client IP address.

pptpctrl stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in
inetd.conf
will run pptpctrl to service incoming pptp
connections using
the tcp wrapper  /usr/sbin/tcpd,  as  before,
however  with
debugging    enabled,    an   alternate   config
file   of
/etc/ppp/options.PPTP, the speed set to 115200
and the local
IP address forced to be 192.168.0.1.

My questions are:

1. What is the _proper_ method to keep pptp available
for all of the clients comming in.

2. Can I register pptpd in inetd.conf? If so how.

3. If I need to use pptpctrl in inetd how is this done
so I can use the options WITHOUT tcpd?

CTC