[pptp-server] Confusion/Network Neighbourhood/Samba

Rolen, Mark E. MERolen at APACMail.com
Mon Feb 21 23:38:31 CST 2000

Not 100% postive here, but pretty sure you're not going to see Net
Neighborhood across the point to point....  I only have a few hosts to worry
about, so I just use an LMHOSTS file and it works fine for mapping shares I
know the name off.  Browsing seems pretty much non-functional, unless I've
missed something as well...

A WINS or Samba server configured for your link would probably fix you up.

-----Original Message-----
From: pptp-server-admin at lists.schulte.org
[mailto:pptp-server-admin at lists.schulte.org]On Behalf Of Chris Mitchell
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 11:33 PM
To: pptp-server at lists.schulte.org
Subject: [pptp-server] Confusion/Network Neighbourhood/Samba

Greetings,

I've spent the past fortnight or so playing around with poptop, the win95/98
clients, routing, etc etc. Reading through all the docs before I actually
started, I thought it all looked pretty cut and dried......should've known
by now as soon as I begin thinking that, it all goes pear shaped. At any
rate, ive done a whole heap of stuff, trying to get this VPN working.....and
I think I'm almost there. It would appear that everything works......the
clients will make an encrypted connection to the server, can ping back and
forth, ftp, telnet all that kind of stuff works fine.......however the
Network Neighbourhood bit isnt. I *think* Samba is set up okay, but i'm not
sure, as I don't know a great deal about it. however, some help would be
appreciated, im up to the stage where the clients can connect, ping back and
forth, and all that kind of stuff......does anyone have, or know where I can
find, detailed instructions on where to go from here? I tried a whole bunch
of stuff from the archives, but nothing seems to work, so some help in
getting these clients to talk to each other in Network Neighbourhood would
be great.

Cheers,

Chris.