[pptp-server] can't see computers in Network Neighborhood

Cam Bowman cambo11 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 01:54:22 CST 2000

This sounds like a name-resolution problem.  To solve it, you must implement
some form of dynamic or static name resolution (that is Netbios Name to IP
address translations).  By default your WIN9x clients are trying to
broadcast to find the names of other computers, BROADCAST traffic will never
cross a PPP link.

Option #1
Configure a WINS server for WIN9x client.

To make this dynamic when the PPTP client connects, edit your PPPD "options"
file on the linux server; usually "/etc/ppp/options".
OPTIONS file should look something like this:

debug
name servername
auth
require-chap
proxyarp
ms-dns  192.168.1.10
ms-dns  192.168.1.11
ms-wins 10.1.141.12
ms-wins 10.1.142.10
lock

Please note the order of ms-dns and ms-wins addresses, the first one entered
becomes the primary and the next secondary.... and so on.

Options #2
LMHOSTS file on WIN9x client.  "c:\windows\lmhosts"
on NT "c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts"

There is a sample file (lmhosts.sam) to help you configure this file,
remember to reboot or run "nbtstat -R" (reloads the file) after saving this
file.

If you don't have a WINS server and you want to save time setting up the
lmhosts file, input a PDC, BDC or server;  these computers are the most
likely to be the "master browser" (microsoft name for computer who holds all
computer names and share information).  This should get you a list of the
whole network neighbourhood.

This should take care of you problem..

Cam Bowman
Amtelecom Communications