[pptp-server] WebRamp + PopTop?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Jan 11 11:12:15 CST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Greg Boehnlein wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
>
> > Has anyone succesfully gotten a Webramp 315e VPN client to attach to a
> > POPtop server?
> >
> > Webramp makes a router that has a built in VPN client that is designed to
> > attach to an NT server and allow multiple users to share a single VPN
> > connection. We get to the authentication stage, however, but the Webramp
> > never sends it's authentication information.
>
> Upon further einvestigation, "+pap" to the PPP Options file will allow the
> Webramp VPN client to connect and work. Apparently, the Webramp does not
> use or understand Chap.

Now the biggest problem that I am having is that the Webramp uses NAT of
some sort to allow multiple IP addresses behind it to access the Internet.
This causes problems with the VPN connection. I.E. from the Webramp, I am
able to ping through the VPN and into the remote network. However, when I
attempt to ping with a host sitting behind the Webramp, I can't even ping
the PPP interface that the Webramp is assigned.

The same problem crops up when you attempt to use the VPN Pass Through
feature on the Webramp, except it is a little more succesfull. One client
behind the Webramp can establish a VPN connection to the remote PPTP
server. The second one that is brought up authenticates fine, but then
only one of them can send data. The first client is left dead in the
water.

This isn't a routing issue. The Linux PPTP server is assigning unique
addresses to the VPN connection, and multiple clients from other
NON-Webramp sites can connect without a problem. This is most definitely
something in the way the Webramp handles the NAT and VPN combination.

--
      President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
           http://www.nacs.net   info at nacs.net   (216)-619-2000