[pptp-server] State-based Firewall and VPN Server on One Box?

Robinson, Eric R. erobinson at dot.state.nv.us
Fri Jan 14 23:15:49 CST 2000

Hi Chuck,

I always start by dreaming up exactly what I want, then backing off as the
realities pile on. I want maximum security and clean VPN services for
Windows clients on a single box, and I want it, um, FREE, and I want it NOW.
Plus, I want to add some Linux to my resume.

Hence the search for a Linux. It's mostly free. It's downloadable now. (I'm
seriously considering the Webramp 700s product, but one of the main things
holding me back is that it just wouldn't be as FUN.)

Adrian suggested in an earlier message that the answer is PoPToP and
Netfilter. What do you think about that?

Also, you seem to imply that IPSec-based VPNs and NAT can't exist on the
same box, whereas PPTP-based VPNs and NAT can. I think I must have
misunderstood you. I can't think of a reason why IPSec and NAT shouldn't be
compatible. Theoretically, the box should examine the IP packet to see
whether it contains an IPSec payload. If it does, it hands it off to the VPN
software, which strips the IP header, decrypts the ESP, and forwards the
recovered packet to the internal network. If the IP packet does NOT contain
an ESP, the box hands it off to the firewall software, which checks the
destination address against its NAT table. If it matches a NAT mapping, it
then applies the filter list and state information against it. Finally, it
replaces the destination with the internal address from the NAT table and
forwards it to the internal network. Is that not how it works?

--Eric