[pptp-server] Windows Client Connection Problems

Tony Click, Senior Principal tclick at thegallerygroup.com
Wed Jan 19 08:13:45 CST 2000

I've been working at this problem hot and heavy for a while now and haven't
found the appropriate incantation of animal to sacrifice to the gods of
software compatibility.  Anyone know how to fix this?

I've got laptops that can dial into the ISP and then connect to the VPN
flawlessly.  Everything has went as expected.

However, there are occasions that we will have our laptops on an Ethernet
network and I'd like to to be able to use PPTP from that network to our VPN.
The current situation is we have LANs at remote locations that have a
dedicated router (ISDN) connecting them to the internet.  On occasion,
someone may need to connect to the VPN to get files.

At one point I had one machine working under this configuration, but
something happened and now it will connect only if I use DUN for internet
connectivity.  When using the Ethernet, on one machine I get error 650 and
on another 629.  Ironically both configurations appear to be identical.

I can post the logs if they're needed.  The gist of what they are indicating
is that when using an ISP, everything is kosher, but when using Ethernet,
the connection appears to try to negotiate IPXCP and NBFCP and after a bit
it just craps out.

TIA

-Tony

----