[pptp-server] Network Neighberhood Browsing using SAMBA

Chris Trew christ at moreton.com.au
Wed Jan 19 17:39:34 CST 2000

This is my config to help any people that are still having any troubles
browsing using poptop and SAMBA. This is a very rough guide.

Sample Structure

+-------------+
|MAIN NETWORK |
+-------------+

+-------------+
| 10.0.0.246  |
|    LINUX    |
| SAMBA WINS  |
|192.168.1.246|
+-------------+

+--------------+
| SMALL NETWORK|
+--------------+

      +......................
      |                     .
+------------------------------------+
|  192.168.1.42       10.10.10.250   |
|    NETTEL   ||      POPTOP      |
| 192.168.111.42    10.10.10.251-254 |
+------------------------------------+
      |                     .
      |                     .
    +--------------------------+
    |         LOCAL LAN        |
    +--------------------------+
      |                     .
      |                     .
+-------------------------------------+
| 192.168.111.10  ||   10.10.10.251   |
|      WIN98           WIN98 (PPTP)   |
+-------------------------------------+

NOTES:
The SAMBA server running on linux can see both sides so that when the
WIN98 machine connects it receives the WINS address (192.168.1.246) from
the NETTEL. This points to the LINUX box. As there is no gateway to the
main network the W98 machine can see all the computers on the main
network but cannot connect to it. The LINUX box has a SAMBA share so the
WIN98 machine may access it.

FOR CLARIFICATION:
The WIN98 Box is the VPN client and it accesses the NETTEL's poptop
server via 192.168.111.42. It then receives a virtual address of
10.10.10.251 and can now ping LINUX on 192.168.1.246.

The NETTEL box is running the poptop (pptpd) server and will accept up
to 4 connections (10.10.10.251-254).

The LINUX box is running samba with the win server turned on it is also
the domain master and local master for both LANS 192.168.1.* and
10.0.0.*.

SETUP:
=========================
LINUX
-------------------------
SAMBA/WINS
workgroup = YOURWORKGROUP
security = share

local master   = yes
os level    = 33
domain master   = yes
preferred master  = yes
wins support  = yes
(Make sure wins server is commented out!)
wins proxy    = yes - It seems to need this turned on for my config even

                      though wins machines are pointing to it!

You don't have to worry about HOSTS ALLOW unless you already use it
otherwise comment it out.
=========================
NETTEL - POPTOP
-------------------------

/etc/options.pptp

name PoPToP
auth
require-pap
proxyarp

-------------------------

/etc/pptpd.conf

option /etc/options.pptp
localip 10.10.10.250
remoteip 10.10.10.251-255

-------------------------

/etc/ppp/options

netmask 255.255.255.0
ms-wins 192.168.1.246

-------------------------

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets

phil PoPToP philspasswd *

=========================

The first problem I encountered is that when I log on I see the entire
network but after 2 minutes (or however long it take to register with
the wins server) I loose all the other computers and it is replaced with
my computer only. I fixed this at the client (W98) by doing the
following:

NETWORKING > PROPERTIES > TCP_IP - DIAL UP > PROPERTIES > BINDINGS

Client for Microsoft Networks [Checked]
File and Printer Sharing    [Un-checked]

If this is not done then after it logs onto the samba server (2 mins)
the other computers will cease to show up during a refresh.

You should first test to see if the 2min thing happens before doing
this.

PLEASE NOTE:
Firstly make sure samba is working before using poptop. You may have to
let samba run a while before it will stabilize and you can check this by
adding:

[Global]
debuglevel = 10

in /etc/samba.conf and then tail or edit /var/log/samba/log.nmb to see
the occasional printouts of the wins tables.

Also this was my config and may differ from yours depending on versions
and machines etc.
It may require tweaking for your particular circumstances.
Hope this helps you.