[pptp-server] a couple questions(mppe patches,etc)

Emir Toktar toktar at per.com.br
Wed Jan 19 22:17:44 CST 2000

If you are usisng the softwares like said below, you will use the
openssl-0.9.4.tar.gz file. In the openssl-0.9.4 version there are rc4_skey.c
and others files....

> pptpd-1.0.0
> SSLeay-0.6.6b
> ppp-2.3.10-openssl-norc4-mppe.patch
> mppe_stateless.diff

--- I cut this text from HOW TO FAQ - dec 99 ----------
<from geof. >

Does this patch actually work without modification--besides editing the
ppp_mppe.c file with:

vi /usr/src/ppp-2.3.10/linux/ppp_mppe.c
add the  #include "rc4_skey.c" to the end of the include section

I normally use the 2.3.8, because it works, but would like to try the
2.3.10.

There are others references about this problem.
Other thing:  README.linux 2.3.11
"
To talk to the new driver, pppd needs to be able to open /dev/ppp,
character device (108,0).  If the special file node /dev/ppp is not
present, pppd will create it.  However, if you are running with /dev
on a read-only filesystem, pppd will not be able to create /dev/ppp.
In that instance you should manually create /dev/ppp using the command
`mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0'.

If you use module autoloading and have PPP as a module, you will need
to add the following to your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules:
alias tty-ldisc-3    ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14   ppp_synctty
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
"
Frequently I see reference in howto/faq e-mails about
error -> char-major-108 ppp_generic

Dont' forget it add in your modules. Good luck!

Best Regards

Emir Toktar
+55 2141 340-7157
toktar at per.com.br