[pptp-server] A little speed please

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Mon Jan 24 05:56:29 CST 2000

I just came up with another reason that PPTP is really slow:

by default, winNT checks the box "use remote computer as default
gateway" or something similar.  This is under the dial-up/tcp/ip config
stuff.

This has the effect of sending all your DNS requests and EVERYTHING down
the pptp connection, there to die a slow death or just to clog up the
modem line.

Clearing this box speeds up things tremendously.

To see what I'm talking about, look at the routing table (route print)
with the box checked and unchecked.

This should make it into the config info/FAQ.

--Yan