[pptp-server] CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)

Tony Skinner tlskinner at achilles.hendersontrucking.com
Mon Jan 31 14:26:34 CST 2000

Hi Greg,

	I ran into similar problems which I attempted to address here and
found no help. However, since that time, I have determined the following:

	1. These problems only occur on kernels after 2.2.5.
	2. These problems occur with ppp-2.3.10 on kernels after 2.2.5.

	As to whether or not the two are symbiotic in causing the problems
isn't known by me. I do know, though, that using kernel 2.2.5, and
ppp-2.3.8 works flawlessly.

	I suspect that the ppp code has been changed in kernels past
2.2.5. I believe it has become more tightly integrated into the way the
kernel and ppp communicate; thus, any patches have applied to the kernel
have little or no affect. Quite possibly, the patch itself breaks some the
mppe functionality.

	I am not a programmer nor a kernel/ppp expert. I sent this
information to Moreton Bay. He said no one else had reported this problem
to him or reported that it was limited to kernels past 2.2.5 besides
myself. This could be an isolated incident for me only. I hope, though,
this information can help you and any others experiencing such problems.

	Tony Skinner