[pptp-server] Session timeout

Christopher S. Cosby ccosby at westhq.com
Mon Jul 3 15:04:16 CDT 2000

I'm not the world's greatest C programmer, so I'm curious about a little bit
of code.  Reading through everything, it appears that this causes an error
and disconnects the call if it takes longer than 5 seconds to receive an
echo reply.  I ask because I have a client who likes to stay connected for
4,5,6 hours at a time monitoring her AS/400 batch jobs and would hate like
hell if there was some strange timeout in pptpd that was causing her to get
disconnected occassionally.  Can anyone shed some light for me?  Thanks in
advance.

Chris Cosby

from pptpd-1.0.0 (clean, no patches)

pptpdefs.h lines 74-75
#define MAX_ECHO_WAIT	5

pptpctrl.c lines 391-395
/* waiting for echo reply and curtime - echo_time > max wait */
if (echo_wait == TRUE && (time(NULL) - echo_time) > MAX_ECHO_WAIT) {
  syslog(LOG_INFO, "CTRL: Session timed out, ending call");
  goto leave_clear_call;
}