[pptp-server] Session timeout

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Mon Jul 3 15:23:54 CDT 2000

> I'm not the world's greatest C programmer, so I'm curious about a little bit
> of code.  Reading through everything, it appears that this causes an error
> and disconnects the call if it takes longer than 5 seconds to receive an
> echo reply.  I ask because I have a client who likes to stay connected for
> 4,5,6 hours at a time monitoring her AS/400 batch jobs and would hate like
> hell if there was some strange timeout in pptpd that was causing her to get
> disconnected occassionally.  Can anyone shed some light for me?  Thanks in
> advance.

Well it's basically a check that the client is still connected.  If you
find the congestion is too high and that is timing out you can increase it,
but 5 seconds is really a long time.

> #define MAX_ECHO_WAIT	5
>
> pptpctrl.c lines 391-395
> /* waiting for echo reply and curtime - echo_time > max wait */
> if (echo_wait == TRUE && (time(NULL) - echo_time) > MAX_ECHO_WAIT) {
>   syslog(LOG_INFO, "CTRL: Session timed out, ending call");
>   goto leave_clear_call;
> }

David.
David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>