[pptp-server] Performance of PPTP Connections

Matthias Mueller ry23 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jul 6 13:42:17 CDT 2000

Hi,

we're using the PoPToP-Server to connect our wireless LAN with our normal LAN
(to ensure, that only allowed people can access our LAN).
I made some performance tests and got about 400KByte/s without the PPTP-Server
and about 200KByte/s with the PPTP-Server. I tried it with and without
encryption, but the results were the same, so I don't think that the CPU is
the problem.
I have the folling configuration:
PoPToP v1.0.0
pppd version 2.3.10
Linux rz-racka-4 2.2.16 #1 SMP Wed Jul 5 13:50:42 CEST 2000 i686 unknown
1 CPU P III 500 Mhz, 256MB RAM
In pptpd.conf I specified speed 115200 (there was a note, that some pppds use
this for unlimited speed, didn't find anything about the pppd-implementation
on Linux.
The clients are connected with 11MBit Wireless LAN, the server with 2 100Mbit
Links, at the moment about 3-5 clients at the same time.
I tried increasing the speed-setting in pptpd.conf but there was no improvement.
I suposse, the limit is the communcication between the pptpd and the pppd.
Any hints what I could do to improve the performance ?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias

Matthias.Mueller at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Rechenzentrum Universitaet Karlsruhe